Thursday, December 17, 2009

One last hike in the Schwarzwald

Elias's school schedule is different every weekday. Thursdays are his longest day, starting at pre-dawn (7:50) and ending at 13:00. Today I took advantage of that: instead of practicing, I left the house at 8:30 for one last long hike in the local Schwarzwald. I headed south through Wiehre and followed the signs toward Kybfelsen, a destination I had seen previously on signs. I don't think I ever made it there, wherever it is, but I did end up high above Guenterstal and Horben en route to Schauinsland. There was no snow down in the valley, but about halfway up the mountainside I encountered snow accumulation on the trail and big clumps of six-pointed flakes falling from the sky.

In the Google Earth map below, the straight line that starts under the "b" of "Horben" and runs down and to the right is the clearing for the cable car up to the top of Schauinsland.


No comments: