Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Complainant number two

Complainant number two was back again yesterday, vociferous as ever. Indeed, she's been back almost every Monday and Thursday since she first chewed me out a month ago. She chews me out not just for the benefit of God, but also on behalf of the invisible multitudes I'm driving away from the church by practicing. (Of course, I prefer to think of myself as defending the church against hordes of martens, but I haven't mentioned that yet.)

Yesterday, however, I was armed with a mediator: an organ teacher who speaks fluent German, who knows how to decline articles and implement all the formal-you pronouns without hesitation, and who wasn't going to let my lesson be interrupted. He modeled for me how to try to explain a situation, and how to give up, turn one's back, and just get on with things.

No comments: