Thursday, December 26, 2019

Herrsching accomplished

In Germany, stores close midday on Christmas Eve, and remain closed Christmas Day and the day after. S and I made a quick trip to Herrsching to buy some last-minute groceries, and since E and I hadn't managed to walk to Herrsching on Solstice, I decided I'd walk home from Herrsching on Christmas Eve.

As I followed the footpath along the train tracks out of Herrsching and through the marsh, I observed that someone had placed a coin on the train tracks. That person surely was not myself, because I would of course never ever place objects on train tracks, let alone in a country where trains reliably run on predictable schedules.


After 5 short minutes, an S-Bahn passed by. Alas, I could not find the flattened coin, but from the shadows of its former existence that it left on the tracks, it appears to have been a United States quarter. Imagine that.


As I approached Hechendorf, I headed up the hill, away from the train tracks and the Pilsensee. There's an excellent view of Schloss Seefeld across the Pilsensee, in the parking lot of the Gaststaette Pilsenhof...


...where there's a restaurant called the Entenbraterei (Duck Roastery).


Across the street, a Christmas Eve service with brass music and hymns was starting outside of the Kirche Sankt Michael. The church tower dates to ~1270.


Walking through Hechendorf, I found a source for sacks of worm fertilizer. The sacks were self-serve, so anyone needing humus over Christmas could purchase some at their leisure!


Out of Hechendorf, I took my favorite path (Steinebacher Weg) past our new friend the cow, who didn't appear to have moved more than 10 meters since Saturday,...


...past the lone tree on the hill,...


...into Steinebach, and home.

Did I mention it was raining the entire 10.4 km, and my rain jacket turned out not to be waterproof?

No comments: