Sunday June 28, loop hike to Forca Rossa
We headed up first to Tragonia pass, where the wide meadow made hiking easy.
Azaleas and other wildflowers were abundant.
View of, I dunno, some mountain. Mountains, mountains, everywhere...
Our goal was Forca Rossa. This photo below was the last one I took before we reached the top, because the trail was so steep it was hard not to slip backwards on loose scree. We hiked the loop counter-clockwise (100% brave-acrophobe approved); had we tried this clockwise, I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to handle the descent.
Whew. It felt good to have grass around us again. Look at S being so nonacrophobic that he can stand there taking photos.
The trail down was a luxury: not as steep, with wildflower and soil-rich paths weaving comfortably around the rocks.
The variety of wildflowers meant there was always something new to spot.
Down, down, down we went...
We very occasionally went up too...
...before heading down some more.
![]() |
| Second and third lady slippers of the trip! |
Back at Rifugio Tartoi, we had a late lunch and then relaxed. Unlike Saturday, by mid-afternoon, the veranda was empty of day hikers. We spent the afternoon reading, taking showers, and handwashing laundry--a relaxing day.
![]() |
| I apparently deleted the color version of this photo... |
Below, an apt metaphor for the day, courtesy of the rifugio veranda:
What do you do when there's an obstacle in the way of your needs? You cut what you must, and you carry on.
































No comments:
Post a Comment