Wednesday, August 7, 2024

A photo per day

I took a bazillion photos this summer. In the interest of paring things down, I'm documenting most of that with just one photo per day.

June 30: walked to Andechs:
  

July 1: Steinebach offered inspiration for what to do with old hiking boots: 


July 2: took a train to Munich to run some errands. Bonus video: Romania was playing the Netherlands in the Euro Cup, and fans were having a pep rally in the Marienplatz U-bahn station.


After errands, I visited the Brandhorst Museum. The exterior is fantastic--covered with 36,000 extruded rectangular clay rods, glazed in 23 different colors. This was the first time I went inside, for an exhibit on Andy Warhol and Keith Haring. 


Hmm. One more photo. I walked from the Brandhorst through the grounds of Schloss Nymphenburg and onward all the way to Pasing.


July 3: We had errands to run in Hechendorf, so we walked. It rained and we got soaked.


July 4: HBD, S!


July 5: Ulm

July 6: I walked to Possenhofen on the Starnbergersee. I did this because two days earlier in Munich, I passed a bank with a plaque that said "Sisi was born here, before there was a bank." Then, browsing potential hikes on Komoot, I clicked on a point of interest and discovered Sisi had spent childhood summers in Possenhofen. And of course, there were signs of Sisi all over Vienna, since she grew up to become the Empress of Austria. But the Photo of the Day isn't the statue of Sisi in front of the Possenhofen train station--it's this delightfully long word on a road sign. Way to go, German language! The 23-letter long word Grüngutkompostieranlage means "green waste composting plant" (which, admittedly, is 25 characters long excluding spaces).


July 7: We made an effort this summer to sort through some of the storage cabinets with H's belongings. One of the finds was a box into which she had thrown old coins from a variety of places. Many predated the EU (indeed, some went as far back as the 1870s).


July 8: Connecting dots, enabled by the Deutschland Ticket, I walked from Weilheim to Murnau. En route, I passed through the delightfully named town Huglfing, where this wooden sculpture stands near the church.


July 9-12: Salzburg and Wien 

July 13: Our friend B has a friend who covets having chickens but lives in a place where she can't keep them, so B bought her an Ersatz chicken that arrived in the mail that day.


July 14: After walking from Weilheim to Murnau, I noticed I could make a tidy connection on the map by walking from Rottenbuch to Murnau and from Benediktbeuern to Murnau (see July 23). 


July 15: Sorting through more of H's belongings, we found this old school notebook. Note the impeccable handwriting and attention to detail in the maps. She grew up to be an artist, but clearly excelled already as a kid.


Bonus photo, because he's just so dang cute: photo of toddler E enjoying a good box. He's 6'3" now. 


July 16: Walked from Steinebach to Gauting to visit a friend.


July 17: Walked from Fuerstenfeldbruck to Odelzhausen to visit R & R for lunch.


July 18: Walked to Andechs again, this time with S. Boring photo, because I've walk this route so many times, I only took one photo...


July 19: Having walked to Gauting two days previously, I noticed I could connect Gauting to Starnberg with another walk. It was an interesting walk, and included one of the first monuments erected in Germany memorializing the 6 million Jews murdered during WW2. The memorial is in a cemetery near a hospital in Gauting that had treated patients with lung diseases. After WW2, this included many KZ survivors with tuberculosis. The hospital was overseen by U.S. forces, who created a section in the cemetery for Jewish casualties. The Holocaust memorial was erected in 1947. Part of my route followed an old Roman salt trade route between Augsburg and Salzburg; along the route were ruins (at this point, just mounds) of a Celtic fort (not pictured).


July 20: Family reunion in Eurasburg. Afterward, S and I connected more dots by walking to Augsburg.


July 21: didn't take a single photo, but walked all the way around the Woerthsee.


July 22: Took a train to Pasing to return the mobile hotspot that Deutsche Telekom had lent us after a tree took out the wifi in June. I went without S, and accomplished the mission all by myself in fractured but passable German. Yay me! It reminded me of the first time I bought a peach all by myself at the Viktualienmarkt in Munich and learned I would not starve in Germany. After returning the hotspot, I walked from Pasing to Germering and bought dishwasher detergent before hopping on a train home.  


July 23: More dot connecting: Benediktbeuern to Murnau. The plan was to meet S, B, P, and A for lunch at Aehndl, but everyone bailed, so I took mass transit home. Thanks, Deutschland Ticket!

Pedestrian pass under a busy road

July 24: While waiting for our friend C' to arrive for our last multi-day point-to-point hike, I closed one more gap and walked from Neugilching to Germering. Since the route basically follows the S-Bahn route, I expected it to be pretty flat and boring--but it wasn't.


July 25-29: closed the final southern Germany map gap by hiking from Lenggries to Brannenburg.

July 30: a quick morning walk with C to the lake and to Edeka before heading to the airport.

No comments: